Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Jump Rope Dress


I have been waiting and waiting for this pattern to be available for a few months now, its from Oliver + S, one of my favorite pattern makers.


(yes, it was a crazy hair day)
Its one of the more challenging peices I have made, not hard, just more time consuming than I would have thought.


and that is because I tend to make easier patterns, or just "make up " a pattern as I go.


This particular dress, has a placket, which was intimitating to me, especially since 1/3 of the instructions were dedicated to making it alone. However, they were very clear and easy to read, and I was super pleased with the results.



I think next time I would use a different pattern of fabric. I love this corduroy, and I had it already, and since fall is upon us, it seemed appropriate. However some of the detail is lost in the pictures and can only been seen close up. (Placket, sleeve detail and belt loop finishing)
Not to mention that Parkey was totally distracted by a neighbor and just wanted to talk to her instead of smiling. But the dress is so fun and I am super pleased with it, I would love for their to be an adult version of this pattern for myself.




10 comments:

anne said...

that dress is just stunning! i LOVE shirt-dresses (they look great on me) and you did such a great job with this one!

Anonymous said...

I saw that pattern and said "heck no" so kudos to you for making it and seriously making it SO WELL! It is completely awesome!

And I realized today as I was digging through my pattern stash that I still have your instructions for the kimono pjs from last Christmas...boo on me! Can I drop them by one day after work?

Foofie said...

Oh! This is AWESOME!!!!!
it looks GREAT!

Erica said...

em-adorable! glad to hear someone can make a placket! last time on ec smocked dress, i totally improvised....never did get it quite right...they are hard to me. but yours looks fabulous!

Becca said...

Asa's baptism gown had a placket for the buttons down the back. It took Mom and me several tries to get it right! SO cute--I'm impressed! :)

Our family said...

Emily, It is GORGEOUS!!! I love, love, love it. Way to go. You are seriously very talented.

Dotti said...

Very cute Emily! You should be very proud. Sweet dress for a sweet girl.

The Leonards said...

have no idea what a placket is, but i think the dress is just PRECIOUS! great job!

Jessie said...

What a beautiful dress! You have such talent. Not to mention a cute as a button model!

(friend of Ruthie)

Olivia said...

out.of.this.world.

again, will you make me clothes? for me? lol.